Thursday, March 17, 2005

If the Spaniards Don't Attack, Then Who Will?

Evil people keep taking the fun stuff...

To commemorate the 21st day since we last saw a real post from cousin Dave (and the seventh day since he posted promising a new post "soon") I've decided I'll pick one of his better posts and create a spring off of a post.

So the Nazis are still stupid and living but have now moved over to the US of A. Now I look at them a bunch of complete morons and don't view them as a threat at all. In light of that I was thinking the other day about swastikas. Every public restroom I go in seems to have a swastika on the wall in one of the stalls. Now one might jump to the conclusion that there are a lot of evil Nazi loving goons out there but after some reflection on the idea, I think I've reached a much more logical conclusion.

Swastikas are just fun to draw.

Please, please, please, no one kill me. Seriously though. The little bent cross, that is now so commonly associated with the evil SS, is not only challenging to reproduce well, but aesthetically pleasing when perfected. Now, given, there are a host of other symbols that are equally pleasing to draw, but that doesn't make the swastika any harder to avoid. I can remember sitting in class on more than one occasion doodling swastikas (inadvertently) in my notebook, happily ignoring my lessons. Then someone would walk by my desk, something snapped in my brain and I'd suddenly and awkwardly hurl my body on my desk and over my notebook. As if by seeing the swastikas next to my math calculations and several swirlies (also a popular note time doodle) would make them assume I was a loyal follower of the fascist party.
In reality, the bad connotations that follow the swastika now are just one more reason for me to hate the Nazis. Originally this was an Indian good luck symbol. It's like the word gay. Did anyone ask the word gay if it wanted to stop meaning happy and start almost soley meaning homosexual? Sometimes it's a strange and unfair world.

Be sure to check out Jump Cut Radio if you get a spare moment (and a lot of bandwidth). We recorded our second episode yesterday and had some good times. Remember though, I can't be held responsible for their occasional foul language.

"It's not what you have in common, it's what you have that's opposite" ~Roach

4 comments:

LT said...

Wow, he still hasn't updated? I just stopped going to his blog after a while.

To quote a random stereotypical Japanese person: "That's lidicurous!"

Julie said...

hey hey. it's julie, the redhead on flickr, haha... i'm on blogspot too, you should stop by sometime

Devin said...

Hey, Nathan! Stats just came back online over at Jump Cut...and OVER A HUNDRED people have downloaded our first episode! We have about 16 subscribers as well! I guess our little show is starting to catch on! If I see you at the commercial shoot later tonight, I want to talk about some new ideas I have for episode 3. Laters!

Bosephus Jamiroquai said...

Oh for the love of all that is holy!! I've updated the freaking blog. May you pass bottle caps in your stool.

Oh and I'll definately check out the episodes. They sound maaad cool, yo.