Thursday, October 11, 2007

Picking Things Up and Moving to New Zeland

To be a "writer" I sure don't act like I enjoy writing very much. Oh well.

It's October and around this time of the year spooky things start popping up. This summer some of the Caswell folks and I did some ghost hunting. This is little more than walking around a "haunted" site with a recorder in hand asking dumb questions to the wall. We'd say things like "What's your name?" and "If you can here us, punch Zack." Of course, we were shamlessly ripping off the TV show "Ghost Hunters," as countless high school sophomores have done before us. Funny thing is, though - when you're asking those questions you don't really think about the alternative to dead silence that you almost always get. Either 1) you hear something fall or rattle or someone else in your group makes noise and is scares the monkey out of you or 2) a being from another plane responds. In the case of #2 I think I would find myself quickly regretting the venture to hunt the ghost and flee the building, most likely with arms flailing wildly in the air.

The moral of the story...don't hunt ghosts unless you want to find them.

Now, a deeper topic (but related). Are ghosts real? I really don't know. I don't believe that ghost, as we like to classically think of them, are real. There is something really romantic about the notion of ghosts, though. Poor lost souls, left to wander the Earth - maybe their heart was broken beyond repair, maybe they were killed and left unavenged, or maybe they just don't know thier dead. The whole idea of ghosts is just really cool to me but I can't bring myself to believe that God would let that happen.
So if they're not ghosts, what are they? The Bible warns against calling on the spirits of the dead, commands against it actually. It also speaks of "unclean spirits." Could it be that these spirits are demons? If so, why would they want to talk to or otherwise mess with us humans? I think that 90% of all ghostly happenings are either made up or misinterrpretations of naturally occuring phenomana. But even with all of that, there is still a good amount of legit, werid crap going on. There are just too many well documented cases to ignore that we're alone on the Earth. Something else is out there.
As a Christian, I currently believe that the voices we hear on tape recordings, the spectres that float through walls and the entities that push around Ouija planchetts are all demons or "unclean" spirits who are out to pull in victims. Such supernatural interests as "ghost hunting" only serve to distract people from the truth of God and people who are unprepaired in their spiritual life can find themselves quickly enticed by the powers of these spirits. The things they can do and the predictions they can make lead people to a series of false conceptions which can easily lead to a fallen life or set of beliefs. Satan's goal is to take down as many of us with him as possible, so that just seems logical to me.

As for everyone out there who thinks I'm really certafiably crazy at this point - more power to you! I'm not saying that I believe any of this happens, necessarily, and certainly not from first-hand experience. Part of me wishes that I could say that I've seen evidence of the paranormal, but the other (much larger) part is quite content to sit on my bed and play Halo 3 while eating Cheetos, instead.

I wonder if teargas has a smell or if it just burns really bad. Wouldn't it be ironic if it smelled really good?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool post. i liked it.

Anonymous said...

Of course, the other possibility is you're picking up voices from an alternate parallel universe. Maybe you're bugging some family just as they're sitting down to dinner. I can see it now...they sit down to a nice fried chicken dinner (it's always chicken, or at least tastes that way) and the phone rings. They pick up the phone, and they get a lot of static along with a distorted voice asking "Is there anyone there named Jean who wants to talk with us?" They respond with "there's no Jean here"...later they say "please just leave us alone", like you're a bill collector or something.

You'd get pretty annoyed if someone interrupted your chicken dinner...

Anonymous said...

I think you should pick up your things and move to austraila instead...

Anonymous said...

first off awesome post!
now I've been through this before
and my mother always tells me that it's demons taking form of spirits to distract us as you said. Now I have seen spirits, in fact I know a family who is close to my family who had an paranormal experiance with a ghost or demon watever it is, I hated having to go visit them because I would get so scared I knew that gost/demon was there.Now the house they lived in was quite old and old lady died there and Riccardo who is the friend of the family who lived in that house told me that he could hear the footsteps of the old lady walking in the house. He also said that she would pull the covers off of them or pull on their toes!
scary very scary!. Riccardo's wife would tell me that she would also rearange the dishes. It got to the point where they got sick of it! they called the pastor and he came and they prayed and well the old lady's ghost or demon never showed up again. They still ended up moving out because the house was so old and the monthly rent was ridiculous! hahah but yea I absolutely believe in crazy scary stuff like that.